Saturday, July 30, 2011

¡España!

Originally posted May 19, 2011
Last week, a fellow FYSAE student and I took a small trip to Palma de Mallorca, Spain before our finals began. This is a small Balearic Island off of the Spanish coast. It was an absolutely beautiful area. After a few days of rain in Scotland, it was refreshing to see the bright sun greet us as we got off our plane.
After checking in at our hotel, we immediately went to one of the many shops near the beach, got sunblock, and hit the beach. We were a little shocked when everyone seemed to be speaking German and women were laying on the beach without tops on. Palma is a popular holiday spot for Germans and it is completely normal and acceptable for women not to wear bathing suit tops.
Our first two days were spent enjoying the sun on the beach reading, listening to music, and doing a little revision. The water was surprisingly warm and clear. The third day we went into the main “town” area. We toured the historic Palma Cathedral, Royal Palace, and Bellver Castle. On this day, a strange blister appeared on my leg and we had to make an emergency trip to a doctor. I know some Spanish, but sadly I do not know any medical terms, so the trip was a little frustrating, but the nurse that treated me was very patient and ended up draining and dressing my blister. The final day in Mallorca I spent in the shade studying for an exam that I had coming up and enjoying classic Spanish cuisine like paella.
Even despite having to seek medical attention, I truly enjoyed the trip and it was the perfect way to relax before finals.




                              

No comments:

Post a Comment